It’s hard to say what happened to July, but it’s almost August. While many of you are making plans for back to school, a lot of people are still looking for things to do with the kids. Don’t worry, we have no shortage of fun planned for August.
- Lots of drop ins (Lego, storytimes & crafternoons)
- Une Heure de Conte en Francais every Friday morning
- Art Through the Ages adult & teen craft mornings
- Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum visit
- Regular storytime
- another fun National Film Board screening!
A lot of the programs need registration, but anything that says “drop in” means just that… drop in anytime! And of course, we have our regular I Spy, our TD Summer Reading Club (have you seen the great flower boxes yet?), Book Buck Bingo for Teens, and Adult Summer Reading.
There’s plenty of time to get your library fix in. Hopefully, we’ll see you in August!
Did you know that next week, we have TONS of great daily programs happening at the library? We’ve been super busy at the library, with drop ins, registered programs, and more. But in case you’re looking for something to do, here’s what’s happening next week, July 17-21st.
- Monday — Water Wonders (ages 6-8) 10am—registration required
- Monday — Library Scavenger Hunt Drop In (ages 6+) 1:30 – 3:30pm
- Monday — National Film Board Screening (all ages) –7-9pm (see Facebook for details)
- Tuesday— Liquid Life (ages 8-12), 10am–registration required
- Tuesday—-Find Your Creative Self–(adults)—Session #3 (closed to registrants)
- Wednesday — Storytime (Ages 2-5) 10am—-Registration required
- Wednesday — Crafternoon Drop In (ages 7+)
- Thursday— Art Through the Ages (adults and teens) – 10am
- Thursday — Elliot Smith, Magician—10am at the Carleton Place Town Hall Auditorium (tickets $3 in advance at the library, $4 at the door) , ages 4+
- Thursday — Fort Drop In Day — All Ages — 1:30 – 3:30
- Friday — Une Heure de Conte en Francais — all ages, no registration, 10:30am
- Friday — Lego Drop In — all ages—-no registration
If the kids are getting a bit restless, we have lots going on all week, plus I Spy, and summer reading. Oh, and we have books to take home, too!
Tomorrow is our Library Lemonade Stand Summer Reading Kick-Off! Join us on the front steps of the library from 1:30 – 3:30pm (rain or shine), for a glass of lemonade, and lots of fun! You can also pick up all of your registration kits for the TD Summer Reading Club, for Adult Summer Reading, and our Teen Book Buck Bingo cards. Plus, our library will be all decked out for summer. Don’t be surprised if you see a fun character or two.
You’ll also be able to fill out a ballot starting tomorrow for one of our very special Library Gold Cards. Win one of these, and you won’t have any library fines for 150 days…that’s almost until the end of November! Exciting, right?
It’s going to be a busy day, as the library will be closed for the holiday weekend, so drop in sometime Thursday or Friday to pick up books, DVDs, museum passes and more. We’re kicking off with lots of great things!
Happy Canada 150!
The wonderful people who put together the TD Summer Reading Club have put together a fun toolkit to help parents, teachers, and librarians prep for summer reading. If you’re looking for ways to keep (or get) your kids interested in summer reading, this is a great place to start. There is a fun quiz to start, which will help determine what type of summer reading club your child might be interested in, and then a download with tons of suggestions province-wide. Even if you happen to be leaving the area for the summer, most libraries do participate in the TD Summer Reading Club, in some way, shape, or form. While we all do something a little bit different, everyone will have access to the stickers and booklets as motivation.
If you’re in Carleton Place this summer, don’t forget, we have our Library Lemonade Stand Summer Reading Kick-Off on Thursday, June 29th from 1:30 – 3:30pm. We’ll be handing out information for summer reading, giving out invitations, and answering all your questions about the program. We have some fun things planned for our readers…so stay tuned!