This is it…the final week for our wonderful summer students, Sarah and Erica. We’re sad to see them go, but wish them all the best in the upcoming year!
While it’s hard to believe summer holidays are almost over for the kids, we’re happy to gear up for Fall programming soon. That said, this week is the LAST week of programs for kids at the library until the fall. If you haven’t signed up for something already, there’s still time, and a few spaces….but get going soon!
Sarah has done a marvelous job keeping the kids busy, learning, entertained, and reading! We had Lego days, scavenger hunts, Bingo, dinosaurs and safaris! And we had a huge number of readers taking part in the TD Summer Reading Club…..we’re not finished yet, and they’ve read close to 1000 books already.
While the literacy program finished last week, Erica is finishing up some reports and helping us with general library tasks this week. We’re so pleased with how well this program ran for our first summer, and the feedback we’ve received from parents and children who took part has also been positive.
If your teen missed the Book Bucks spending week last week, don’t fret…we’ll have another one in September.
For now, we hope everyone has had as much fun as we have, and we’re looking forward to offering up new, exciting programs this fall!
Yalp was in charge of fun, as usual, and the results were amazing. This week:
- We participated in the Bridge Street Bazaar and gave out tons of creative buttons. Did you get yours?
- We had a brand new round of literacy tutoring participants, and they are adding so many apples to the reading tree, I don’t know if there will be enough room for them all! Yay, readers!
- Thursday was a Splash-tastic kind of day! If you heard lots of laughter coming from the park behind the library, it was likely our young participants in “Make A Splash” day!
- Book Bundles continue to be popular. If you haven’t been to the library this summer, we have an amazing selection of bags full of books for the kids, all themed so that you can just drop in and pick up a bag. We’ve made picking books for the kids really easy!
- Our DVD collection is growing, and recently we added movies like “It Follows”, “Woman in Gold”, “Get Hard”, and “The Duff”. Have you taken out a movie lately?
If you’re looking for things for the kids to do next week, we have plenty going on. Drop in and pick up a calendar or simply come by to take out a movie, participate in our weekly I Spy game, or use our free WiFi. We’d love to see you!
If you have been taking part in our Adult Summer Reading program, make sure to check your tickets from July to see if you are a winner. We’ll have another great prize in August, so keep reading, and start collecting!
It’s almost here–book buck spending week! Our teen readers have been busy reading up a storm, collecting book bucks since the beginning of the summer. And next week is the first week to spend them!
Each square on our Book Buck Bingo card is worth ONE book buck….a special summer library dollar. Teens who have been collecting the book bucks can bring them in and spend them on items we’ll have on display in our Book Bucks window.
What are the items we can purchase with our Book Bucks?
There will be plenty of great things, from books, to gift cards, to candy, to crafty items. The possibilities are endless, and you will have to wait until Monday of next week to see what we’ve got!
Do I have to spend my book bucks now?
No! A lot of readers wait until September, trying to collect the maximum amount of book bucks. Some readers simply spend a dollar or two in August and keep the rest. It’s an exciting time, and a lot of deliberation goes on.
So, drop in anytime next week to see what we have “on sale”.
It’s been a busy July, and we’re expecting August to be just as crazy! But don’t worry…we’re looking forward to every second of it! And you can be a part of the fun, too…..just give us a call to sign up for one of our wonderful programs.
- Our last two French Storytimes: Une Heure de Conte en Francais : Friday, August 7 & 14 at 10:30am….all ages. No registration required.
- Jurassic Park Day on Monday, August 10th from 1-2pm, ages 9 – 12, registration required
- Out of this World Drop In day on Thursday, August 13 from 1:30-4:30pm, all ages, no registration required.
Of course, we also have our weekly I Spy challenge, plenty of Book Bundles left, and we’re starting our second round of tickets for our Adult Summer Reading Club. Did you win the prize for July? Drop in to see if we drew your ticket number!
And don’t forget, there is still plenty of time for Yalp to visit with your family. He’s been soooo busy, going to museums, the Farmer’s Market and taking long bike rides. We can’t wait to see what adventures he’ll be up to next!
We finished up our first full session of Literacy tutoring, and it was a great success. The kids were delightful to see each day, and we they seemed really excited about coming back each time. A whole new session has started this week, and those eager young readers are already collecting their stickers and adding to our giant Tic-Tac-Toe board. Fun!
It was Harry Potter’s Birthday last week, and we celebrated by inviting plenty of Wizards to the library!