This summer, if you’ve been following along, we’ve been adding donations from our generous patrons to a fun to “Adopt a Giraffe”. Early on, we named our buddy FLIP, and while the donations have been adding up, we’ve been keeping everyone updated on the progress. Donations have helped:
- provide clean water
- ensure lots of tall grasses for the habitat
- given the giraffes a safe place to sleep at night
- made our giraffe very happy
Of course, there are plenty of things the World Wildlife Fund does to help keep our world’s animals safe and thriving, and our donations will go towards all of their hard work. Stop by and adopt your own animal if you like, or just take a few minutes to see exactly what they do. We thought this was the perfect program in keeping with the “wild” TD Summer Reading Club theme, and we’ve enjoyed every minute of it. You can see Flip’s Progress below:
Thanks for dropping by to see Flip grow from your donations, and thank you for helping us to conserve the habitat of these lovely creatures! With your generous donations, we’re able to submit over $250 to the WWF program! That’s amazing!
This is it…our final Book Buck Spending week of the year! We’ve given away over $60 in prizes so far, but we expect to triple or quadruple that this week. Our teen readers have been busy all summer working on the squares in the Book Buck Bingo card, and we’ve been delighted by their progress.
- We had teens bring in baked goods they’d made out of new cookbooks
- We LOVED hearing teens introduce themselves to us to earn a Book Buck. Great job, everyone!
- We enjoyed the seeing teens wandering around the library, noses deep into their cards as they looked for books that matched the squares.
- We especially had fun giving away treats, prizes, books, crafts, and more to everyone who spent their book bucks early.
Don’t forget….there is ONE special $16 Book Buck Secret Prize available this week. While you won’t know what’s inside, it’ll be worth it if you take a chance…we promise!
Our summer programs are done, our wonderful summer students are gone, and we’re busy gearing up for fall programming. But wasn’t it fun? We had a great time in July and August, and it was all thanks to YOU!
Thank you for:
- attending programs,
- taking out books, DVDs, and museum passes,
- for downloading eBooks and audiobooks,
- for using Flipster and Mango Languages,
- for signing up for summer reading programs
- for spending Book Bucks
- for donating money to adopt a giraffe
- for sharing treats with us after baking for book bucks
- for getting enthusiastic about penguins
- for bringing your children for literacy tutoring
- for attending magic shows and visiting local museums with us
- for enjoying our new water cooler
- for playing Pokemon Go
…and for all of the other “wild” things that went on this summer. Stay tuned for more exciting things to come!
If you have a young reader at home, there are still a few days left to finish up the TD Summer Reading Club program. We’ll be drawing for the Grand Prize (the wonderful basket above), and smaller prizes late next week, so make sure to come in and get the last of your penguins, stickers, ballots, and more. After that, we’ll be finished for another year.
Who will win??
If you’ve been enjoying the library this summer by participating in reading programs or activities, we’d love to hear from you! Take a few minutes to drop by the library to fill out a quick survey, or do it right now by clicking on this link! It’s easy, and fun.
Tell us how we did!
Next week is one of the most popular and fun weeks at the library….it’s the first Book Bucks Spending Week! All of our teen readers have been madly reading and collecting in hopes of scoring something fun to purchase with their Book Bucks. We’re getting all of the items ready and cloaking them in secret behind a window cover, just to keep prying eyes from seeing too much too soon.
If you have teen readers who have some book bucks to spend, they can drop in any day next week that we’re open and spend, spend, spend! But don’t worry…if they can’t be here next week, they can drop in during the week of September 5 – 10 to make their purchases. We think this is going to be a very popular event this year!
Don’t forget, you still have time to get tickets at the library for tomorrow’s show at the Carleton Place Town Hall Auditorium for RYNESTONE. Tomorrow, you’ll have to spend $4 each at the door, so get here before 8pm!