Enjoy your long weekend!
This week, we held our annual Valentine’s Craft Night for our younger set. As usual, we had lots of enthusiastic crafters join us to make lots of lovely (and yummy) things. We made the cute cereal heart bird feeders shown above, and also some pretty 3D paper boxes. There were games, LOTS of treats and even some Valentine’s Day mad libs. It was all very heart-y.
If you’re like most of us, Valentine’s Day has probably crept up on you. But there is still plenty of time to make your own delightful Valentine to give to that special someone. And what better way than to spend a weekend morning crafting something cute with your little ones? If you’re looking for some easy printable and fun Valentine’s you can make at home, I rely on these great sites for inspiration. They always have fun things to make, and they usually don’t involve more than items you already have at home.
How about these cute pop-up card Valentines from Skip to My Lou?
Or what about a yo-yo Valentine from The Crafty Crow?
This happy camper Valentines Card box from Suzy’s Sitcom is super cute, too!
So, Happy Valentine’s Day to all of our wonderful readers, from all of us at the Carleton Place Public Library! We hope you have a crafty, wonderful weekend!
It’s that time of year again, when everyone is thinking ahead to the March Break and what they’re going to be doing. Don’t worry, we’ve got LOTS of great plans in the works for that week, and it includes something for all of our patrons (not just the kids)!
You’ll notice, we have lots of things going on every day, all day long.
- Join us for a new I SPY game everyday, which involves picking up a card and searching the library for fun items.
- We’re planning a “Cave Art” project, which we hope everyone will add to as the week goes on.
- Teens, have your Library Fortune told to see what book you should be reading next!
- Book Bundles are sure to be a hit with frazzled parents who don’t have a lot of time, but need something for their kids to do. Drop in, pick out a bundle and take it home. That’s it!
- We’re excited about the Shelfie Selfies project! Last year, we had so much fun seeing your mustache photos, we’re inviting everyone to come to the library to take your photo in our special Shelfie Selfie booth! Then, post them on our Facebook page and tell us why you were at the library.
- If you’re interested in changing careers, we have amazing e-resources available at the library. This week, we’ll have dedicated computers set up to help you take a career quiz to find out what might be out there for you!
One of the BIGGEST, most exciting things about March Break (March 16-20th), is going to be our WELCOME BACK program! We want to invite everyone who might have large fines, or very overdue library books, to come back to the library! And to make it more enticing, we’re going to be waiving our fines that week! Bring back that overdue book and we’ll waive the fines. Or bring us a donation (canned goods, dry goods, or cash) for the local Food Bank, and we’ll waive your fines. We just want you back at the library!
For the kids, we pop inside the March Break calendar to events happening every day. Most of the sessions are free, although they do require registration, so make sure to sign up early to save your child a spot.
- First up, we’re inviting our Young Writers back to the library this week, starting with a fun session called “Fractured Fairy Tales”. This is going to be so much fun….we can’t wait to hear what our writers come up with!
- Monday afternoon is a crazy sort of Bingo party. This is not your traditional bingo….and there will be wacky rules, treats and prizes. Hurry…this one will fill up fast!
- On Tuesday, we’re trying a new crafty project….painting with Coke! Yes, this will be a new discovery for most of us…but it really works!
- Wednesday is about poetry for our young writers, but it won’t be boring. Will there even be rhyming?? Who knows!
- Our most-requested fun happens on Wednesday afternoon for the little ones…..our BIG HERO drop-in day! While it might be a new theme each year, this afternoon is always full of fun, crafts, costumes and books. Drop in anytime, do a craft, play a game, dress up….it’s all about Big Hero today! No registration required for this.
- On Thursday, we’re talking about mystery writing with our Young Writers. We’ll learn how to craft the creepiest, scariest, most shocking story our little hearts can imagine! Boo!
- This year, we’re doing something different on Thursday afternoon. It’s TWO sessions with RADICAL SCIENCE!!!!!!!! Yes, instead of having an event outside the library today, we’re inviting all of our budding scientists to come and spend an hour doing thrilling, science-y stuff! Come to either session…..it only costs $1 for your ticket….and leave with a head full of knowledge (and a belly aching from laughter). This is going to sell out FAST, and we only have 25 spots for each session. Get your tickets NOW!!!
- And last, but not least…..Friday is going to be wonderful! Parents…if you’re exhausted from the week, drop in to pick up your OWN “Finally Friday” stress-relief kits! They won’t last long, though, so come by early!
- For our French friends, we’re hosting an exciting preview to our upcoming new French Storytime! Meet the wonderful Agathe who will read us a story, sing a song or two with us (maybe), and have lots of fun….all en francais!
If you have any questions about anything happening at the library during the March Break, give us a call. You can pick up your hard-copy of the March Break calendar starting today at the library. Post it on your fridge….you don’t want to miss a thing!
Since this was written well before the holidays, I can only imagine what the weather might be like today. But no doubt, there’s probably snow in the forecast. If you’ve been cooped up at home for the last few days, you might be happy to know that the library will be open today, and off and on for the rest of the week. Drop in to return your items, renew everything, or check out new items.
If you’re curious about our hours this week, this is what is happening:
Monday, December 29 Open 1:30pm – 8:00pm
Tuesday, December 30 Open 1:30pm – 8:00pm
Wednesday, December 31 Open 9:00am – noon
Thursday, January 1 CLOSED
Friday, January 2 Open 9:30am – 5:30pm
Saturday, January 3 Open 10:00am – 5:00pm
See you at the library!