It’s been a busy July, and we’re expecting August to be just as crazy! But don’t worry…we’re looking forward to every second of it! And you can be a part of the fun, too…..just give us a call to sign up for one of our wonderful programs.
Coming up in August:
- Our last two French Storytimes: Une Heure de Conte en Francais : Friday, August 7 & 14 at 10:30am….all ages. No registration required.
- Jurassic Park Day on Monday, August 10th from 1-2pm, ages 9 – 12, registration required
- Out of this World Drop In day on Thursday, August 13 from 1:30-4:30pm, all ages, no registration required.
Of course, we also have our weekly I Spy challenge, plenty of Book Bundles left, and we’re starting our second round of tickets for our Adult Summer Reading Club. Did you win the prize for July? Drop in to see if we drew your ticket number!
And don’t forget, there is still plenty of time for Yalp to visit with your family. He’s been soooo busy, going to museums, the Farmer’s Market and taking long bike rides. We can’t wait to see what adventures he’ll be up to next!
We missed Yalp’s Round Up last week, but that’s only because it was a really busy week. Who knew that Lego Drop Ins would be so popular? (Yalp did!)
We finished up our first full session of Literacy tutoring, and it was a great success. The kids were delightful to see each day, and we they seemed really excited about coming back each time. A whole new session has started this week, and those eager young readers are already collecting their stickers and adding to our giant Tic-Tac-Toe board. Fun!
It was Harry Potter’s Birthday last week, and we celebrated by inviting plenty of Wizards to the library!
And even Yalp managed a visit with a friend this week. Seems like he has a variety of reading interests.
If you have youngsters who are looking for fun things to do this summer, give us a call at the library. We’re signing up for next week now…programs for Superheros, Royals and more!
We’re selling tickets right now for a fantastic magic show at the end of the month. Join us for the amazing Elliott Smith, Comedy Magician, at the Carleton Place Town Hall Auditorium on Thursday, July 30th at 10am.
This is a fun family-friendly show aimed at children aged 4 and up. Tickets are on sale now at the library for $3 each, adults and children. (Babes in arms are free!). If you don’t get a ticket soon, we’ll have a few available at the door on the day of the event for $4 each, so come to the library and pick up your tickets today. This is a REALLY popular event, and tickets are going fast. Drop in today!
There are lots of great book lists out there…what to read now, what to read this summer, what to read if you don’t like reading….too many great books to read, really. But Today’s Parent magazine recently put together a list of the Top 100 Canadian Children’s Books that you really must read! And the list is fantastic!
From the classic ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, to funnier picture books like SCAREDY SQUIRREL and THIS IS NOT MY HAT, to the wonderful story of bats in SILVERWING, this list doesn’t miss a thing. And it has selections for kids of all ages.
If your children are looking for something great to read, but all of their favourites are currently charged out at the library (WIMPY KID, MINECRAFT, STAR WARS), why not take a look at this list and find something “new” for them to read. We have most of the books in our library (and plenty more we can suggest), but it’s so nice to see a list that draws on all the Canadian talent out there!
We’re starting a new series for the summer called “Yalp’s Friday Round Up!”. Yalp is our TD Summer Reading Club mascot this summer, and he’s up to lots of fun this summer…visiting with our young patrons, hanging out at the library, and much more. Hopefully, he’ll give us some insight into how much fun everyone is having at the library this summer.
We had Minion Madness, Marvelous Music and Crazy Colours this week. Everyone had fun, including Yalp! We had storytime, toddlers, young writers, adult writers, young readers, and today, we’re looking forward to French Storytime and an afternoon of Legos! Could our week be more fun?
Yalp heard LOTS of great things this week, including:
- One of our young friends loved spending time with Yalp so much, it was difficult to bring him back to the library at the end of the week. Thankfully, he’ll be able to visit her again later this summer! (They went biking together, and he can’t wait to do it again!)
- A young reader taking part in our summer literacy tutoring program came up with a great game that allowed him to find letters in the library that he was working on.
- Our group of teen writers didn’t want to leave after their hour was up!
- Children in the Crazy Colours program were laughing so hard during one of their games, it could be heard throughout the library
- A gentleman visiting from Carleton Place enjoyed being able to walk in off the street to use the public computers for free. It turns out he was a former Parliamentary Librarian!
I’m sure next week will be even more exciting! Don’t forget, we still have tickets for the Magic Show on Thursday, July 30th. Drop in now to get them for $3 before they’re gone!
Calling all Lego enthusiasts! Friday afternoons at the library are going to be fun this summer! We’re having Friday afternoon Lego Drop-In Days from 2-4pm, starting Friday, July 10th.
No registration is required for this fun program….just drop-in anytime from 2-4pm. Building something creative, or try one of our challenges. Just come by for lots of fun.
See you on Friday!
Just a reminder, our French Storytime begins this week! It’s a drop-in, so no need to register. See you on Friday morning at 10:30am!