We’re getting ready for another round of Babytime! We always love seeing these new faces and meeting new parents, and getting them excited about using the library. Each session is filled with songs, rhymes, cuddle time and more, and is aimed at baby bonding with parents.
This program runs Thursday mornings from Sept. 15 – Oct. 27, at 9:30am, for children aged 0 – 12 months. Registration is required, as it is usually a very popular program. Don’t worry if you can’t attend all of the sessions, just come when you can. Registration begins today, so give us a call or drop by the library for more information. 257-2702
The sessions are about 20 minutes long, and there will be plenty of time afterward to look for books, or socialize with other parents and babies. We want our young patrons to start out with a good feeling about the library, and babytime sessions do just that!
After a quick start and then a long-ish break, Babies are back on at the library this week. We’re looking forward to seeing all of these cutie pies giggling, cooing, and smiling as we learn songs, read books and more.
If you registered for babytime, but didn’t make it to the first session in early March, feel free to come on Thursday morning at 9:30am. We have a nice large group this time, but we can always squish in one more.
This session is a lot of fun for babies zero to twelve months, but it’s aimed at moms and dads who want to have a little more bonding time. Plus, you’ll get to meet other parents, and the babies can make new friends. This is always a popular program, and many groups end up meeting outside of the sessions, or after the program is finished, so don’t be afraid to try it.
If you’re still not sure if this program is for you and your baby, drop in, or give us a call at 257-2702 to ask some questions. In the meantime, check out the FAQ’s below for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to stay for the whole session? And how long is it, exactly?
- No, you can stay the whole time, or just for a few minutes. If baby is fussy that day, or sleepy, you’re welcome to leave whenever it is best for you. We don’t judge. And the session usually lasts about 20-25 minutes, but we often have parents who stay for an hour or more to chat.
- Can I breastfeed during a session?
- Of course! If you feel more comfortable leaving the room, we have comfy couches just outside our program area where you can sit for as long as you need to. The library is not open to the public during Babytime, so it can be a peaceful area during that time.
- Do you have a changing table? I’d rather not change my baby in the middle of the room.
- We have a family washroom that has a changing table available. If you have soiled diapers to dispose of, we’d appreciate it if you’d deposit them in the garbage can just outside our main library doors, or let us know so that we can change the bag at the end of the babytime session.
- I have an older child and no daycare available. Can I bring them along, too?
- Absolutely. Have your child bring along a favourite stuffed animal to participate with the group. This can be a lot of fun for everyone. Or, if they’d rather sit and look at books, they’re welcome to bring one of our bean bag chairs into the room along with some books to keep them occupied while we run babytime.
- I don’t have a library card. Do I need one? Do we have to take out books?
- You don’t need a library card to join babytime, and no, you don’t have to take out any books while you’re here. But it’s a great time to pick up books about parenting, making your own babyfood, and fun board books for the little one to flip through all week. It’s easy to get a card…just ask us how at the front desk.
It’s always a fun time when babies return to the library. We’re starting our Winter Babytime session today, and it will run for the next six weeks (with a few skipped weeks due to March Break etc. Please call for a current schedule).
Why do libraries have programs for babies? Even though children this age don’t seem to be doing much in the way of literacy, they’re picking up new skills every day, and part of that is due to singing to them, playing with them, and reading to them. Parents at Babytime sessions will learn fun songs, rhymes, and games they can play to promote growth in their children at this stage. Plus, it’s a great way for parents to meet, and for babies to get used to other babies.
Each session is about 20-25 minutes long, and we sing a LOT of songs, learn tickle rhymes, and use plenty of great props (including books) to keep the interest flowing. Parents often stay for a long time after talking and getting to know each other, and making plans outside of the library. Of course, we’re also happy if they sign up for library cards and take out books, but it’s not a requirement.
This session takes place at 9:30am on Thursday mornings, and registration is required. Please call us at 257-2702 to sign up today!
We’re excited that Babytime is starting up soon, and that means registration is beginning this week. This is a fun six-week program for babies and moms (or dads, or grandmas, or caregivers etc.), that allows for great bonding, meeting new people, and learning early literacy skills. Believe it or not, babies get a lot out of these programs, but so do the moms.
Register now for the sessions which will begin on March 3rd running through April 14th. They happen every Thursday morning at 9:30am, and are aimed at babies aged 0-12 months. These are always really popular sessions, so sign up early to avoid disappointment, as spaces are limited. You can either give us a call, or drop by the library to learn more.
The babies are coming! The babies are coming!
Just a reminder to all moms and babies–there will be no babytime this morning at the library. See you next week at 9:30am!
We love babies! And that means we’re excited about starting our next Babytime session at the library!
Registration has begun for our 6-week Babytime session which begins on Thursday, September 17 at 9:30am. This is a fun pre-literacy program aimed at bonding parents and babies…and it’s also a great place to meet other parents and allow your babies to socialize. There will be plenty of time after our 20 minute session to look for board books, talk with other moms, or sit and relax. No hurry to rush out of the library!
Give us a call to register, or drop by the library to get a card and put yourself on the list. We can’t wait to see all these cute faces in September!
Today is the last babytime of this session. We’re sad to see all of the cheery little faces disappear for a while, but not to worry, we’ll be starting up a new session for babies in September.
Keep watching here for more information on our summer schedule. Next up….toddlers!