We’re winding down our fall programs this month, and getting ready for a fun winter full of library activities! If you’re wondering what’s on, you can always take a look at the calendar on our library website, or drop by the library to pick up a newsletter. (This week is the exception….we’re taking a break from children’s programs, but we’ll be back next week). But here is a quick look at what’s up in November.
- Toddler Time: Now that Babytime is finished, we welcome in the toddlers. This program is for children aged 1-2 years old, and acts as a transition between babytime and storytime. We sing songs, learn some American Sign Language, and read books, of course! While it’s a little more active than babytime, your toddler doesn’t have to be able to follow directions. By the end of week five, we know they’ll be participating! Toddler time runs from November 3rd through December 8th, Thursday mornings at 9:30am. Registration required, so give us a call at 257-2702.
- Storytime continues through November 30th on Wednesday mornings. We have two sessions: 9:30am & 10:15am. Both tend to fluctuate with attendees each week, so make sure to call ahead to reserve a spot for your 2-5 year old. We read books, sing songs, incorporate rhythm into the mix, and have lots of giggles. It’s also a great way to introduce pre-literacy skills to your little ones.
- Une Heure de Conte en Francais: Friday mornings at 10:30am are our French Storytime sessions. This is just a drop in, and is for all ages. It is aimed at children who have some French skills, but we take it slow, and modify the program according to the average age of the group.
- PA Day Drop Ins: We have two this month, which means two school boards are planning days for your children to be off. If you’re looking for something to do with the kids, here’s what we have planned: November 18th we’ll be doing a LEGO Drop In from 1-3pm, and November 25th we’ll be showing a movie, also from 1-3pm. Stop by our Facebook page to see what movie we’ll be playing that day!
- Christmas Craft Night: Registration is taking place now for our last children’s craft night of the year. Call us to sign up your child, aged 6-11, for a fun evening of crafts, treats, and snowy fun, on Tuesday, November 29 from 6-7pm.
- And to wind up the month, we’re going to be handing out Elf Cards the last week of November to the kids. Drop by and pick one up, and then follow our Elf on the Library Shelf, Cocoa, during December. Collect all of the items on the card to win a prize. We can’t wait for Cocoa to arrive!
- Our Nerd Herd Teen Book Club will be meeting for the last time in 2016 on Wednesday, November 30th from 4-5:30pm. And we’re having our Christmas party! Don’t be surprised if you see a present exchange going on that day. It’s going to be a blast! (Oh, and we’ll talk about books, I promise.)
- Adult Book Club: We meet this month on Monday, November 14th at 6:30pm. We’re reading THE ILLEGAL by Lawrence Hill, and it’s going to be a great discussion! This is also the One Book, One Community pick for Lanark County, so you know it’s going to be interesting!
- NaNoWriMo: We have quite a few aspiring authors taking part in National Novel Writing Month at the library in November. We’re meeting weekly (Tuesdays at 1pm, starting November 15th) to chat about the struggles and triumphs of trying to write a novel in one month. Drop by to find out more, even if you’re not participating! We’d love to have new members.
- Adopt-A-Book: Starting in mid-November, you can drop by the library with a $20 donation and adopt a book for someone special on your gift-giving list. We’ll do the rest, and provide you with a nice token to put under the tree. Best of all, your adoptee will reap the benefits of being the first one to read the book, and have their name placed on a bookplate inside. Keep your eye on the library website for more information!
- Adult Craft Club: The adult craft club will be meeting on Monday, November 28th at 6:30pm. Call to sign up for this fun evening of crafting and chat. It’s a great night out and you get to go home with something cute!
- We have two great seminars happening this month for adults. The first is an Introduction to Facebook on November 12 at 2pm. This is perfect for anyone who is new to Facebook, or who just doesn’t know how to use it properly. Registration is required, so sign up early. These tech seminars have been popular.
- The second seminar is called Open Monitoring Meditation and takes place on November 24 at 7pm. This is part of our ongoing meditation series and there are a few spaces left if you’re interested in learning about the art of non-quiet meditation.
As you can see, it’s going to be a busy month, but lots of fun. Give us a call for more information on anything you see above. We’d love to see you at the library this month!